Popular Posts

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Does improving your life feel like a pain in the ass? Solution here.

If you want to change your life, you have to create new habits to support the change. Change is not immediate. It is created slowly, over time, as the result of cumulative action. 

You set yourself up for failure if you think one time actions will create change. You will succeed if you focus on creating and maintaining consistent habits that support the change.

For example: I hate my habit of staying up late to watch TV. I got into this habit when I worked at a restaurant and would come home late with a racing mind. I'd watch TV until I was almost asleep and then go to bed.

My mind still races late at night but I want to be able to go to bed earlier. Now, I have a new habit of going to bed when my husband goes to bed. As my mind races, I visualize how I want tomorrow to go or how I want to feel longterm.

I've replaced my old habit of watching TV to shut my mind off with a new habit of shutting my mind off with visualization. When I just went to bed earlier and expected to fall asleep, I'd get frustrated with my racing mind and end up back in front of the TV. I recognized that I needed a new habit to deal with my racing mind. I've been focusing on my visualization habit for a few weeks and it's getting easier and easier. I'm still tempted to go watch TV but the temptation is fading. I'm slowly creating a new norm.

Change takes time and consistent practice of new habits. Keep working. You'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers