Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Viceless Day 3: TV I love you, but I love me more

7:30 am
Woke early and find myself gazing longingly at my TV screen. Oh, if I could just flip on the TV as I make my morning green juice and hear the comforting noise of familiar voices. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to be productive instead. Hello, Pandora. Yes, Florence and the Machine. Let's dance this out.

12:45 pm
My TV craving is huge! I usually wake up, tidy up my room, make a green juice or tea and meditate. Then I get started on either my Becoming a Badass work or my other work for part-time jobs that I do from home. I'm the most productive and inspired in the morning so the work comes easily. Around 12:30 pm is when I usually get some big vice cravings. I make a healthy lunch but like eating while watching TV. Yes, as a person who is constantly reading health and wellness books or articles on how to improve your life I know that watching TV while eating is a big no-no. I know! But it is just so damn comfortable. Beside eating in front of the TV being bad because I'm not paying full attention to the taste of the food and how full I am, this habitual also usually makes me really sleepy. Since I don't just go nap, I get a big sugar craving and just want to sit on the couch and eat. I need to be either working out or doing work during this time but I get sucked into a vice-grip of unproductively. Then the feelings of being a loser who is going no where in life set in. Strange how something that initially feels so good ends up making me feel so bad.

2:40 pm
Whoa! Just did and hour and a half walk in the sunshine while talking to my mother. Much better use of my time.

11:30 pm
Came home from work and am going straight to bed. Anyone who has ever worked at a busy restaurant knows that this is a rare occurrence. My mind is still usually racing after a shift and I come home and try to numb it with food and alcohol. I've done a lot of self work and research to learn to quiet my mind and keep fearful thoughts at bay. I recently finished a year long meditation practice based on the book A Course in Miracles. I usually do a daily morning meditation with a mantra that I use throughout the day to quiet my mind and reset myself to peace. These practices have hugely improved my quality of life. I no longer feel like a victim of my emotions or anxious mind. Getting home from work late at night though is a period of time that I've been lazy about. I've given myself a free pass to just veg out in front of the TV with a glass of wine and food. It's the easy way to unwind but definitely not the best possible way.

I wonder if the lack of coffee at 5 pm or Coke around 9 pm is the reason I can no go to sleep right when I get home?

Where do you have good habits most of the time but give yourself a free pass sometimes? I'd love to hear about how you feel about your own free passes. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers